[mythtv-users] SAA7134 (Flyvideo 3000) not always capturing audio

Christian Hack christianh at pdd.edmi.com.au
Tue Jul 15 12:02:56 EDT 2003

I have just replaced a Pinnacle PCTV with a Lifeview Flyvideo 3000. It
has much better reception (or immunity to interference at least), can
capture audio over the PCI bus (like btaudio with the BT878 chips) and
is stereo unlike the PCTVs mono.

However about 1 in 5 times, it simply doesn't seem to get the audio and
I get nothing recorded. Also sometimes it seems to get the audio at a
louder level than others. I believe this might be to do with it
receiving stereo vs mono. Sometimes it just never decides to get the
stereo feed - I can live with this but no sound at all is quite
frustrating when you've recorded a show only to find it's picture only.

I am quite certain this is on the capture side and not on the playback
side since I never ever had the problem with my capturing from the
onboard soundcard using the PCTV.

I'm running essentially a RH8 stock kernel (2.4.18) and 0.2.7 or 0.2.8
(both do it) of the SAA7134 bytesex driver.

Anyone else had similar problems? I don't think it's the driver since if
I use aplay /dev/dsp1 (the device created by the SAA7134 driver) it
always works. It only seems to happen with Myth capturing the audio.

How many others are using SAA7134 based cards? From the archives it
seems there are only a few of us.

CH