[mythtv-users] Can't init mythvideo database - mysql q, maybe semi-OT

Jeff Williams JeffW at rockstargames.com
Mon Jul 14 11:55:32 EDT 2003

Now that I've got MythTV itself working (except for my remotes) I'm moving on to the other modules.  I initially downloaded and installed the mythtv-suite from at-rpm's so I have Mythvideo, Mythmusic, etc. already.  However, I don't have the setup files for them so I've been downloading the tarballs individually as well just to get these files (probably a bad idea, but when I go to rpm -e the individual packages before reinstalling, rpm wants to uninstall the entire suite).

So this might be a bit of a newbie q, but last night I followed the instructions to get the Mythvideo database working and mysql asks me for a password - I never set a password.  I tried putting in no password and it gives me an access denied.  I then tried going into mysql itself and granting all permissions to mythvideo at localhost (that's who it's denying access to specifically) with no password but I get the same result.  Doing this all as root.

What am I doing wrong?  How do I get around this password that I never set and don't need?  This is a dedicated mythtv box so I don't really care who has access to the sql database.

Thanks,

Jeff