[mythtv-users] Matrox G400 Dual/Head TV-Out

Zaheer Abbas Merali zaheerabbas at merali.org
Mon Jul 14 13:53:48 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 17:02, William Preston wrote:
> > I got my G400 TV-out working using the framebuffer method (official
> drivers will turn macrovision on and limit you to 640x480, so I've read),
> but I will say that I honestly don't think it's worth it and am currently in
> the market for another card myself.  There are a couple problems with TV out
> on the G400, even if you get it running:
>
> My feelings about the card are about the same.  I had to monkey with fbset
> for a while to get a centered picture, but most of my time was spent
> monkeying with the colors for the TV/Out on the card.  They're _really_ off
> by default for me, and I still haven't managed to get an acceptable image
> out of the second head.  The first head, attached to a monitor, seems to be
> fine.
>
> Unless the Nvidia cards with TV/Out 'just work', meaning it's simple to get
> the TV/Out centered and with proper colors, I'm of the opinion that getting
> a scan converter (though it'll put you back $50+) is worth it.

I have both an xfx nvidia geforce2mx with tv-out (its a chrontel tv
encoder, i believe) and a matrox g400 dual head with tv-out.  I
originally had the nvidia card in.  I could not get the tv-out to fully
cover the screen and at the right colour balance.  I decided after a cpl
of weeks to swap the cards and put my matrox in.  Within 1/2 an hr, I
had perfect tv-out covering the whole screen.  This is what I have in my
startup script:

modprobe i2c-matroxfb
modprobe matroxfb_Ti3026
modprobe matroxfb_crtc2
modprobe matroxfb_maven
matroxset -f /dev/fb1 -m 0
matroxset -f /dev/fb0 -m 3
matroxset 1
fbset -g 832 768 832 768 32 -t 20203 40 0 63 29 56 4 -bcast true
fbset -xres 800 -yres 600
fbset -fb /dev/fb0 -left 12 -right 26 -lower 32 -upper 80 -hslen 40
setterm -cursor off
setterm -blank 0
setterm -foreground black
/root/drivers/maven-prog/matrox 0x1e 0xe0
/root/drivers/maven-prog/matrox 0x20 0xff
/root/drivers/maven-prog/matrox 0x22 0xff
/root/drivers/maven-prog/matrox 0x0e 0x50

I would not hesitate in recommending the matrox g400 card to anyone over
the nvidia for tv-out.  I have a PAL tv that is being outputted to.

--
Zaheer Abbas Merali <zaheerabbas at merali.org>