[mythtv-users] High load, low CPU usage

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Mon Jul 14 09:45:29 EDT 2003

On 13 Jul 2003, Shawn wrote:

> You might be experiencing scheduler starvation. What kernel are you
> using? (uname -r, but if you're using myth, you already know that)

2.4.20-18.8 (the latest RedHat 8 kernel).  Except I recompiled it to make
serial a module, but everything else is the same.

When I was looking at all the threads in top then I quite often saw a lot
of the frontend threads go into the run queue at the same time, so I think
that's what was loading the machine up.

This may have been caused by me being really stupid...  I had niced the
backend to -20 to make sure recordings were unaffected by any other
processes on the box and that might be causing the problem.  I've just
reniced it to 0 and will leave it doing LiveTV all morning to see if it's
fixed the problem.

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/

"..Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time.." - Dreamline, Rush
        *** Presented in DoubleVision (Where Drunk) - Futurama ***