[mythtv-users] Re:General remote/IR port question *slightly OT*

Alexander P. Petkov ap154036 at selway.umt.edu
Sun Jul 13 08:35:47 EDT 2003

>Do you run irw and press the keys and does it display the code for it?
Yes. Then I copy the lines from the newly created file and append to
the existing lircd.conf.

>2. why would I need a jp1 capable remote, I read a little bit about
it, seems to be >for connecting the remote to the computer, can I use
jp1 instead of a learning >remote...

You don't really NEED a jp1-capable remote, but it is nice to use the
computer to program it. You do need a learning remote though--simply
some learning remotes have the jp1 plug, some don't. For those that
don't, some people choose to build it themselves on the remote.
Otherwise if you don't have a learning remote, can you guarantee that
it will have the codes for your existng TV-card one in memory? That
will be a long process of remote buying and returning.

>3. also anyone have any learning remotes that have some pvr intuity
on >there... The only ones I saw were like $100

That's what I was trying to say--in adition to the features you want,
choose one with PVR-labeled buttons.  As far as price, many learning
jp1-capable remotes are in the $20-30 range.  I have a RS model
15-1994. RS had/has on sale their  15-2104 model (maybe newer, the
2114 but I forget) for $9.94. If you get lucky, your local RS will
have those in stock.  You definitely don't have to spend $100 for a
jp1 remote, in fact you should spend far less. I suggest you read the
user's forum on remotecentral.com, also the remote control area on
avsforum.com. The guy (Rob) who created the jp1 program is a mod on
avsforum.

Alex