[mythtv-users] transcoding...

mojo mojospam at thegeekclub.net
Fri Jul 11 05:11:12 EDT 2003

Chris Pinkham wrote:

>>oh.. so i'm a retard because im trying to use a feature that is not
>>entirely implemented yet?  not because i can't figure it out?
>>
>>thats somewhat comforting... ;-)
>

> It's implemented.  It's commented out by default because it was still being
> tweaked.  I believe it works better in current CVS than in 0.10 though, so
> you might want to wait for 0.11 unless you want to tackle running CVS.  It's
> still commented out in current CVS as well.
>
> Chris

ok.. forgive my laziness in not wanting to hack the code and uncomment
the lines and test it out but is this new feature's purpose merely for
re-encoding to a new .nuv file which has perhaps been coverted from
rtjpeg to mpeg4 and has the commercials removed? will there be no option
for exporting files from .nuv's to .avi or something playable on an
un-patched mplayer or windows machine?  i know some people who pull
mpegs from their tivo's and convert them to divx without a problem...
isnt this a feature we want? (ok thats not a feature of the tivo, rather
these folks are probably hacking something out)

the mythencode.pl script even after i fixed it is still producing out of
sync audio for me which varies depending on the source recording
settings but ultimately boils down to the fact that mencoder is
detecting duplicate frames and skipping them causing the audio to be
normal but the video (since its missing tons of frames) plays back at an
accelerated rate. If you search google for 'mencoder duplicate frame'
then you will see some links to the mplayer mailing list which provide
some enlightenment on this issue...

is anyone that is not using a PVR-250 (or similar hardware mpeg2 card)
been able to export the nuv's to a cross-platform format? should i just
shut up and buy a PVR-250 so i can dump clean mpeg2 files?

Thanks,
Sean