[mythtv-users] optimize MythTV

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Fri Jul 11 01:39:09 EDT 2003

On Thursday 10 July 2003 05:11 pm, William Lindner wrote:
> well, I am very interrested in optimizing my MythTV box, so that it will
> run much smoother, right now I have everything that I want installed and
> working (MythTV, MythMusic, MythVideo, MythWeather) and everything runs
> smoothly EXCEPT MythTV.  When I try to watch tv it's very choopy and will
> play for a few seconds, then stop, then catch up and play for a few more
> seconds.  The audio only plays when the picture is also playing...  Also
> the menus are a little slow, and changing channels is very slow.  I think
> I'm coming to the realization that I'll have to shell out the cash to
> upgrade my system because I do realize that it's old.  BUT I still have
> hope that maybe I could just optimize it to run smoother with some tweaking
> of the settings...

Have you lowered the recording specs (resolution down a lot, drop quality,
don't compress the audio) at all?  Turned off deinterlacing?  That CPU's
still going to be pretty marginal, but it should be possible to get something
running.  As for the menus running slow, make sure you're running at 800x600,
as then it doesn't have to resize all those .png files on the fly.

Isaac