[mythtv-users] optimize MythTV

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Jul 10 23:00:53 EDT 2003

First & foremost, get mythtv Up & running first.  Stability, then
performance.  I went by these rule sets for optimizing my system setup
(software tweaks only).  Obviously these are my own opinions so take it
with a grain of salt:

*) enable DMA on IDE drives (hdparm)

*) mount your mythstorage area with noatime

*) recompile your kernel to customize it to your system
*) use Alan Cox & Rob Love patches for preemtive, low latency, Scheduler I/O

*) use gcc 3.2 or better for compiling purposes. (goto
http://www.freehackers.org/gentoo/gccflags for some nice compiling flags.
Just beware for stability)

*) use CFLAGS optimizations against settings.pro, qt, X, etc.

*) minizmize your swap file.  Use free & top to monitor swap usage.  if
your system _NEVER_ touches swap....  then don't enable it.

*) monitor what services run at startup (init.d).  Remove/diable anything
that you don't use (ie: atd, autofs, ident, ypserv, named, innd, etc.)
The minimum you should need is cron, mysql, xfs, ntpd, syslog.

*) use twm, or fvwm as your WM.  KDE & GNOME are _NOT_ lightweights.

*) use nice to adjust priority or mythbackend / mythfrontend.

*) If running mythweb, have apache run 2-4 servers instead of the standard 8.

*) hardware upgrades (but that's self explanitory).

-Rob