[mythtv-users] Re: Quiet Power Supplies/Quiet PC's

hayward at slothmud.org hayward at slothmud.org
Thu Jul 10 15:05:04 EDT 2003

>power supplies perform much the same IF the INPUT power is clean.  If you

Maybe we should split this up into three grades:

1) cheap power supply (under $15)

2) Midrange power supply (25-40$ range?).

3) Name-brand power supplies (40+)

Those in category 1) are showing up in peoples mailboxes DEAD at 20%+
rates and 95% die in the first year.  This is just out-right defective ,
which is why articles describe them as being dumped on the market.  I
don't know if it's just a defective batch or if they are going to continue
making them.

This cannot be blamed on input power.  Do your toaseters, TV's,
microwaves, air conditioners, etc all die at these rates due to bad input
power?  My area has extremely clean power and I'm still losing them
left/right.  (our lights are steady, they dont' flicker.  We don't have
brown-outs or power outages even when other areas in town have troubles.
It's a new neighborhood with all underground power, we didn't even lose
power in ice storms a couple years back that.

The midrange ones are probably what most of the people who have had "good
luck with low-cost power supplies" are using.  If you've had a power
supply that has worked well for more than two years, there is little
chance that it's in category 1) because they haven't been on the market
that long.

--
Brian Hayward