[mythtv-users] Re: Quiet Power Supplies/Quiet PC's

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Jul 9 13:25:40 EDT 2003

At 02:57 PM 7/9/2003 -0400, Shirley, Mark R wrote:
>Cheap power supplies ALWAYS die after about a year or two.
>I will never go back to cheap PSU's.  Pay $15-20, get one year.
>Pay $40 or more, get 5-6 years.

As a general proposition, this is simply untrue.

I've only had 2 power supplies actually themselves fail in the last 10
years. One failed just last week in fact, and it was from an expensive
($US100) case/PS combination I got in January. The second was a specialized
(and expensive power supply for 1U cases, that failed almost out of the
box. In contrast, I have many bottom-of-the-barrel case+P/S combos that
have lasted 5 years or more.

I have had the *fans* in power supplies fail more often than the power
supplies themselves, but I have seen no cost-to-lifetime correlation there
either. I have also had problems from using undersized (in wattage) power
supplies in some situations.