[mythtv-users] Re: Quiet Power Supplies/Quiet PC's

Jeff Williams JeffW at rockstargames.com
Wed Jul 9 12:55:24 EDT 2003

Honestly, the quietest power supply I have ever used is a cheap Allied 300 watt unit currently in my HTPC.  Cost me $18 at Newegg.  I can barely hear it; only if I put my ear right up to it.  Works fine, too, no crashes or unexplained phenomena.

I wouldn't recommend a PSU like this for a real high-end PC, though, like I know some people on this list have.  Tomshardware.com always includes noise tests whenever they do PSU roundups and usually the Antec TruePower line comes out on top in that area.  I think the 430 watt model they tested recently only put out something like 34db (maybe 39db; you can search for the article at the site to verify) at full load, which is really good for a dual-fan, high-power PSU.  Zalman also makes PSU's that are built for quiet, and you could also look into the SilenX line available at exoticpc.com.  I don't have experience with these, though.