[mythtv-users] Anyone try using QCast from BroadQ.com with MythTV?

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Wed Jul 9 21:14:46 EDT 2003

Tim Green wrote:

> At broadq.com they sell software for the PlayStation 2 that allows it
> to play DivX, MPEG and MP3 files (and others) on your TV that are
> stored on your network

Because the main CPU on the PS2 is relatively weak, I guess they used
that custom media processor (emotion engine something?) to decode the
video files. Cool stuff.

(Before anybody asks: For the same reason, it should be pretty hard to
make the MythTV frontend run on the PS2.)

> Has anyone here tried coupling this with MythTV, using MythTV to
> encode the shows and QCast to play them?

No(t that I'd know), it's basically the same problem as with playing on
Windows, and there was a recent thread about that.

Look into the transcoing functions / add-ons for MythTV, if they can
transcode to normal MPEG files (I didn't use them yet). You'd then have
to set up a streaming server on your MythTV backend box, serving those
files to your Playstation.