[mythtv-users]Help approaching install....question on hacking bttv/recompiling kernel? *slightly OT*

Igor Izyumin igor at mlug.missouri.edu
Mon Jul 7 19:08:43 EDT 2003

Mike Miller wrote:

> Apparently the tv tuner card I have, winfast tv 2000 xp does not get
> autodetected right, it gets autodetected as tuner type 5 (pal) which
> is wrong.
>
> I found this post
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=52624;search_string=leadtek%20recompile;guest=755377&t=search_engine#52624
> <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=52624;search_string=leadtek%20recompile;guest=755377&t=search_engine#52624>
>
> So I need to edit that file and the rebuild the kernel, b/c if I try
> to force bttv to use tuner type 2 then lirc wont work as lirc only
> works if BTTV autodetects the card (or so I hear). Here is the
> problem, am I correct that in recompiling the kernel I would lose
> everything? One of the things I like about installing mandrake 9.1 is
> that alsa gets preinstalled which saves me a lot of time. Now
> recompiling I would have to reinstall alsa from scratch, correct? I
> had one plan that I thought might work, if I can find the file
> bttv-cards.c, the copy that gets installed when I install mandrake,
> and edit it before it gets installed that should work, I was looking
> around in the the 3 .iso files but I couldn’t find it. Any ideas? Is
> there any way around a kernel recompile and if I am going to have to
> recompile should I choose a different distro since I guess I would
> lose everything mandrake installs anyway?
>
> Any ideas/help?
>
> Thanks again

Don't recompile the kernel yet. First, check if you can force bttv to
use a particular tuner type. There are probably options to do that. I
don't think it should break lirc -- why would it care if the tuner is
autodetected or manually set? Perhaps you can manually load the module
for the correct tuner? Second, if you really think recompiling the
module is necessary, you can probably do it without recompiling the
whole kernel. Simply install the kernel source (RPM package
kernel-source -- use that, since that's the patched Mandrake kernel --
'urpmi kernel-source' as root should automagically install it). Then,
get the bttv drivers from http://bytesex.org/bttv/ and compile them
manually. This should be a newer version of what's in the kernel - you
might not even need to patch it to get it to work with your card. Move
the original gzipped bttv modules out of /lib/modules and copy the new
ones in there.