[mythtv-users]Help approaching install....question on hacking bttv/recompiling kernel? *slightly OT*

Mike Miller miller44 at optonline.net
Mon Jul 7 19:25:00 EDT 2003

Apparently the tv tuner card I have, winfast tv 2000 xp does not get
autodetected right, it gets autodetected as tuner type 5 (pal) which is
wrong.
I found this post
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=52624;searc
h_string=leadtek%20recompile;guest=755377
<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=52624;sear
ch_string=leadtek%20recompile;guest=755377&t=search_engine#52624>
&t=search_engine#52624
So I need to edit that file and the rebuild the kernel, b/c if I try to
force bttv to use tuner type 2 then lirc wont work as lirc only works if
BTTV autodetects the card (or so I hear).  Here is the problem, am I
correct that in recompiling the kernel I would lose everything?  One of
the things I like about installing mandrake 9.1 is that alsa gets
preinstalled which saves me a lot of time.  Now recompiling I would have
to reinstall alsa from scratch, correct?  I had one plan that I thought
might work, if I can find the file bttv-cards.c, the copy that gets
installed when I install mandrake, and edit it before it gets installed
that should work, I was looking around in the the 3 .iso files but I
couldn't find it.  Any ideas? Is there any way around a kernel recompile
and if I am going to have to recompile should I choose a different
distro since I guess I would lose everything mandrake installs anyway?
Any ideas/help?
Thanks again