[mythtv-users] GeForce4 MX440se

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon Jul 7 12:31:36 EDT 2003

At 01:10 PM 7/7/2003 -0500, James Brent Michalski wrote:
>Wow, I didn't realize that so many different manufacturers made a
>"GeForce4 MX440se" card!
>
>Does it matter video quality-wise, etc. if I get the PCI version rather
>than the AGP version?  My local BustBuy has one of these PCI cards
>in-stock that has the composite, s-video, and vga out on it...
>
>I don't want to end up buying one of these things if it is not going to
>give me great results...

I'd be surprised if any one individual here has used enough different cards
to answer this one definitively. I've used 3 different nVidia cards --

         GeForce4 MX440-SE AGP
         GeForce2 GTS 64 MB DDR 4x AGP
         GeForce PCI card [don't have it at hand this moring to check]

Using the nVidia driver, I've been happy with all three using xine for
playback of DivX video, and with the first two and Myth 0.8 (I didn't try
the last one with Myth). None of them displays the non-XV X display (the
xdm login screen or my blackbox display) very sharply.

 From this, I **suspect** that the performance of these cards varies a lot
for use with games. But compared to games, full-motion video isn't that
demanding a use, so pretty much any card that the nvidia X driver works
with should be OK for you.