[mythtv-users] Getting Started with MythTV

cmisip cmisip at insightbb.com
Sun Jul 6 22:58:21 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 21:16, Robert Empfield wrote:
> Hi everyone.  Just subscribed to this mailing list today and wanted to say
> hi to everyone.
>
> A couple of days ago, I discovered MythTV and everything that it can do.  I
> am highly interested in using MythTV but have a view questions before I get
> too involved.  I know there are a lot of questions listed and I am sorry for
> this.  Being new to this all, I wanted to get my questions out there so I
> can decide whether this is for me or not.
>
> 1.) I am a Linux newbie.  I am currently learning how to use Red Hat Linux
> 9.  Is MythTV to complex to install and configure for someone who is new to
> Linux or could I manage with my limited knowledge?
Follow the docs and ask questions in this mailing list.  If you have
already managed to install redhat 9, you should be fine.  Stick to
simple configurations.

> 2.) I have an extra computer here that I would like to use for MythTV.  Here
> are its specs:
>
> Pentium III 800 MHz Processor
> 384 MB DIMM Memory
> 4.2 GB Hard Drive (OS is located on this drive)
> 30 GB Hard Drive (Used as storage)
> Sound Blaster Live! PCI Sound Card
> 64MB TNT AGP Video Card
> 10/100 Ethernet Card
> 56K Modem
> Red Hat Linux 9
>
> Would this hardware be able to handle to use MythTV?  I would like to
> connect this computer to my entertainment center and use it just like a
> TIVO.

If you dont mind lower resolutions.

> 3.) In the hardware list above, there was no TV capture card listed.  I know
> that a video capture card is needed to run MythTV.  I am currently looking
> at the Hauppauge Win PVR 350.  I know that this card has a hardware encoder.
>   If this system were unable to handle MythTV because of the processor
> speed, would this card help?  Is this card capable of working with
> Linux/MythTV.

I dont think you need a capture card, just a tv tuner card

> 4.) Is there a distribution of Linux that is recommended for using with
> MythTV?  Right now I have Red Hat Linux 9 installed on this computer.  Since
> I mainly want to use this computer like a TIVO, do I really need this Linux
> version installed with a GUI?  Being that I am a Linux newbie, could I get
> away with a text-based version of Linux?

I am using redhat 9 and have no problems. You need the gui.  This is how
the video data is displayed on the screen.

> 5.) I know that for some Linux distributions that someone must log in
> because Linux was designed to be a multi-user OS.  Is there a way to
> automatically log on, when the computer is booted, and also load MythTV?

Yes, autologin and auto run mythtv is possible. I used KDE login manager
to enable autologin. and WindowMaker 's autostart to run mythtv.
> 6.) Can MythTV be used with a remote control like the one from Streamzap?

Check lirc.org for remotes that you can use.