[mythtv-users] Getting Started with MythTV

Igor Izyumin igor at mlug.missouri.edu
Sun Jul 6 22:59:31 EDT 2003

Robert Empfield wrote:

> Hi everyone.  Just subscribed to this mailing list today and wanted to
> say hi to everyone.
>
> A couple of days ago, I discovered MythTV and everything that it can
> do.  I am highly interested in using MythTV but have a view questions
> before I get too involved.  I know there are a lot of questions listed
> and I am sorry for this.  Being new to this all, I wanted to get my
> questions out there so I can decide whether this is for me or not.
>
> 1.) I am a Linux newbie.  I am currently learning how to use Red Hat
> Linux 9.  Is MythTV to complex to install and configure for someone
> who is new to Linux or could I manage with my limited knowledge?

I think you'll manage, particularly if you install the RPM-based binary
version.  You might need some help, though.  One key thing is to READ
THE DOCS pretty much line-by-line.  There are lots of little snags which
are easy to miss and can waste lots of your time.

> 2.) I have an extra computer here that I would like to use for
> MythTV.  Here are its specs:
>
> Pentium III 800 MHz Processor
> 384 MB DIMM Memory
> 4.2 GB Hard Drive (OS is located on this drive)
> 30 GB Hard Drive (Used as storage)
> Sound Blaster Live! PCI Sound Card
> 64MB TNT AGP Video Card
> 10/100 Ethernet Card
> 56K Modem
> Red Hat Linux 9
>
> Would this hardware be able to handle to use MythTV?  I would like to
> connect this computer to my entertainment center and use it just like
> a TIVO.

It will be able to handle it, somewhat slowly, if you use the hardware
capture card.  Menus and stuff will be somewhat slow.  If you can
upgrade the processor to a faster one, by all means do so.

> 3.) In the hardware list above, there was no TV capture card listed.
> I know that a video capture card is needed to run MythTV.  I am
> currently looking at the Hauppauge Win PVR 350.  I know that this card
> has a hardware encoder.  If this system were unable to handle MythTV
> because of the processor speed, would this card help?  Is this card
> capable of working with Linux/MythTV.

Don't even bother without such a card.  An 800MHz CPU can not encode
video in real-time, period.  My 700MHz processor has trouble DECODING
video (in Live TV mode).  It works when the quality is cranked down.
However, keep in mind that to use this card you will have to use some
alpha-quality drivers that need to be manually compiled and installed.
This might prove to be pretty challenging even for an experienced Linux
user.  See the manual for information about using this card.

> 4.) Is there a distribution of Linux that is recommended for using
> with MythTV?  Right now I have Red Hat Linux 9 installed on this
> computer.  Since I mainly want to use this computer like a TIVO, do I
> really need this Linux version installed with a GUI?  Being that I am
> a Linux newbie, could I get away with a text-based version of Linux?

You need X11 (the windowing system) installed to run MythTV.  You don't
need KDE or Gnome.  I use the WindowMaker window manager, since it is
lightweight and doesn't get in the way.  I personally prefer Mandrake
Linux (http://www.linux-mandrake.com) because it comes with nice
configuration tools and has the excellent URPMI software installation
tool.  You might find it more newbie-friendly than Redhat, and one nice
thing is that it is easy to install packages that can't ship with it due
to licensing restrictions or patents (stuff like MP3 encoders and video
players).  On other distributions, you have to download and compile
those from source.

Unfortunately, MythTV 0.10 is not yet available for Mandrake, so you
will have to compile it manually (not as difficult as it sounds).

> 5.) I know that for some Linux distributions that someone must log in
> because Linux was designed to be a multi-user OS.  Is there a way to
> automatically log on, when the computer is booted, and also load MythTV?

Definitely.  I think the manual has something about it.  Mandrake even
has an auto-login option.  Not sure if Redhat has it.

> 6.) Can MythTV be used with a remote control like the one from Streamzap?

It has infrared support using LIRC and a compatible hardware device.
Read the documentation for more info.

-- Igor