[mythtv-users] Some thoughts on using LiRC to control and recieve at the same time...

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Sun Jul 6 09:36:06 EDT 2003

> I've read on this list and on the Lirc list that there's been some work
> to hack lirc to be able to use an IR reciever to control myth, and also
> use a IR transmitter to send signals to a dish, but i haven't seen any
> details on a successful implementation.

I do this - it's actually quite easy once you've sorted out the config
files (the Sky Digibox is very picky about the timing of the IR signals
you send it).

> I was just going to throw an idea out, to see if anyone's already tried
> it: Has anyone tried to run a second copy of lirc in a chrooted jail?
> seams like the easiest way to get two versions of the system running at
> once. It'd probably have to be the lirc_serial instance in the jail, as
> i don't believe it requires any modules to be loaded into the kernel.

You can do the whole thing with one copy of LIRC.  You build the
"homebrew" receiver and transmitter and connect them to the same serial
port (I built them back-to-back on the same bit of stripboard so I could
stick it directly on the front of the Sky box with the receiver pointing
outwards).

Then you just use lirc as you normally would for reception, and use the rc
command (part of LIRC) to transmit.  I had to set up 2 remotes in LIRC,
one for receiving and one for transmitting because the config that lets me
transmit to the Sky box doesn't seem to let me receive from the Sky
remote.

Have a look at my website for config files, photos of the circuit, etc:
http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/pvr/lirc.php

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/

"..Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time.." - Dreamline, Rush
        *** Presented in DoubleVision (Where Drunk) - Futurama ***