[mythtv-users] Logging problems (filled 1G partition)

Jason Cooper jcooper at nevernight.net
Sat Jul 5 12:07:31 EDT 2003

Last night I came home to check out what mythtv had recorded, and things
were 'funny.'  I eventually resolved that my /var partition had been
filled.  oops.  funny how a lot of things don't like to work when they
can't write to their log files... *8v)

Anyway, it turns out mythtv backend log was at approx 680 megs and
mysql.log was at approx 260 megs.  I've only been running the two of them
for about two weeks.

As far as myth backend log is concerned, I guess I shouldn't have left
the playback on pause and walked out the door.  It incurred some sort of
VID...CTL error.  Sorry I can't be more specific, I was concerned I was
losing email so I just deleted the log file before saving the message.
Totally my fault.  At any rate, it was the same message over and over...
yes, hundreds of megs of a one line error message.

So my question is this: Has someone considered putting in some logging
protections similar to the syslog variants?  Or perhaps writing
straight to syslog?  'Last message repeated 41 times' Would have saved
quite a bit of space.

And the non-critical question, since I will no longer leave my frontend
on pause, how do I trim down the logging on mysql?  I'm totally new to
it and am not even sure what I'm looking at in the log (.err is really
small, so that's good) So I don't want to trim out critical info.  Is
there a flag, or config option to toggle so when I don't fill the
partition in a month?  I cycle the logs once a month.

TIA

Cooper.