[mythtv-users] Logging problems (filled 1G partition)

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sat Jul 5 10:20:35 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-05 at 08:07, Jason Cooper wrote:
> So my question is this: Has someone considered putting in some logging
> protections similar to the syslog variants?  Or perhaps writing
> straight to syslog?  'Last message repeated 41 times' Would have saved
> quite a bit of space.
>
> And the non-critical question, since I will no longer leave my frontend
> on pause, how do I trim down the logging on mysql?  I'm totally new to
> it and am not even sure what I'm looking at in the log (.err is really
> small, so that's good) So I don't want to trim out critical info.  Is
> there a flag, or config option to toggle so when I don't fill the
> partition in a month?  I cycle the logs once a month.

If you're using Red Hat, you can always use the "size=" parameter in the
logrorate scripts.  As an example (of the top of my head - UNTESTED!)
you can have /etc/logrotate.d/mythlog

/var/log/mythth/mythbackend.log {
   daily
   create 0644 mythtv mythtv
   rotate 5
   size 100k
}

And since logrotate runs daily by default, you can put a symlink in the
to /etc/cron.daily/logrotate into /etc/cron.hourly/

	-I
--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
                       ian at duckland.org / ian at cytben.com