[mythtv-users] Sound Problem - Redhat 9 + ALSA via8233

John Madill jmadill at joyousnoise.com
Fri Jul 4 22:18:18 EDT 2003

I feel your pain!  I just went through 3 days of this, and the bottom line is
that nothing I did helped.  Audio worked fine with the standard RedHat driver,
but couldn't get sound from the 8233 with the ALSA drivers.  Well, I *could*
hear something if I cranked the amp up to 100%, but that was barely noticible.

I searched the web, including the FAQ and the ALSA site, and found nothing that
would help.

Only thing I could figure is that the audio is coming out of a port OTHER than
the jack on the back system board, or maybe the driver just doesn't work.  I
dunno.

If the audio didn't sound so bad, I would have switched back to the RedHat
drivers, but instead I opted to turn off the Via8233 and use an old SoundBlaster
Live PCI card I had here collecting dust.

Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious.

If you figure it out, I'd love to know the fix, but figure out what your time is
worth and see if maybe a *known good* card would be a cheaper fix in the long
run.

-jm