[mythtv-users] Re:MythWeb feature request, status start page and an a/v streamer

Victor Biro vabiro at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 4 21:16:15 EDT 2003

>> 2. Streaming Webserver

>As long as mytweb has access to the video files, it'd be really easy to
>merely provide a link to them for watching/download. If you want
>resizing and live-streaming, that will probably require a lot more work,
>and is beyond my current abilities.

I have been thinking about this lately, and wonder if someone has any
experience with RealNetworks Helix Open Source Streaming server
(https://www.helixcommunity.org/). It has players for almost every platform,
and will stream Real Media and Windows Media, so you wouldn't even need to find
or install clients.

The obstacle that leaps out at me is the conversion from .nuv to something that
Helix could stream. I understand the FAQ
(http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-19.html#ss19.1) talks about a patch
for MPlayer / Mencoder. Apparently, MPlayer is supposed to be excellent for
converting files, and seems to be able to do so between almost any type.

Unfortunately, my programming experience - expecially with media streaming - is
very limited. I'm sure some of the people on this list would be able to shed
some light on how viable this is.

Thanks
Victor