[mythtv-users] MythMusic Bug, freezes on start sometimes

Chris Germano netslayer at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 3 12:25:16 EDT 2003

Ok I have narrowed the problem down a lot. Whenever I start the frontend
fresh, MythMusic works perfectly. I can do everything in MythWeather,
MythVideo, MythGallery and MythMusic will work perfectly. However if I go
into MythTV and either watch live tv or watch a recording and then come back
to MythMusic it will freeze up. So obviously MythTV is messing something up
once I stop watching tv that would prevent MythMusic from working. When it
does freeze, the background is drawn, about 1/4 of the outlined top box is
drawn left to right and the middle box is completely drawn with just black
inside for the visualization. There is no playlist or data info on the
screen and the first song in the playlist plays but it will not continue to
the next song.

*** I just found something interesting! When I turn off my visualizations ie
"Blank" MythMusic will work all the time! Here is what I did, I rebooted,
started MythMusic (perfect), turned off the visualizations, went back to
MythMusic (perfect), went to MythTV watched live tv, came back to MythMusic
(perfect), went to MythTV and watched a recorded program, then came back and
MythMusic still worked! However I went back to the settings and turned back
on "Goom, Synaesthesia" and repeat these steps MythMusic will freeze. So
somehow it is possible that MythTV locks on to something dealing with
visualizations, which sounds weird but it is what is happening!

** MythMusic will work perfectly if my visualizations are turned off, if on
it will freeze after I watch any kind of video from MythTV directly. Whoever
else is having this problem can you please try to turn your visualizations
off like I described in the previous ph and see if it works!?

I also have this weird problem with sound frequency. I have recording set to
48000 in my myth setup(./setup) but when I'm in the profiles for
mythtv(livetv) I cannot change it past 32000 or it will lockup when I try to
watch tv with errors. Another weird thing is that I have to use the Analog
in on my WinTV dbx instead of the digital setting in btaudio since it is the
only one that actually provides content.

You could be right that I don't have mythmusic's audio settings configured
properly, but it looks like it is setup the same as mythtv is. So it leads
me to believe it has to do with my visualizations!

Here are my sound settings in MythTV under General Settings:
Audio Output Device /dev/dsp
Use internal Volume Controls checked
Mixer /dev/mixer
Mixer Controls: PCM

Here are my sound settings in MythMusic under General Settings:
Audio Device: /dev/dsp