[mythtv-users] Gnome Vrs. KDE

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue Jul 1 20:30:46 EDT 2003

> umm... i couldnt get myth to cover the stupid menu bar at the top of the
> screen in gnome and couldnt find a way to autohide it or anyway to turn
> off "always on top"... oh and mplayer wouldnt go over it either until i
> used gmplayer instead...

This is the main issue.  Personally, I just installed blackbox (from
freshrpms) and then created a .Xclients to auto-rul irxevent and
mythfrontend:

!/bin/bash
#Start a window manager
blackbox &
#Start the IR event server
/usr/bin/irxevent &
#Start MythTV
/usr/bin/mythfrontend
                                                                          using gdm's auto-login feature, the machine loads straight into mythfrontend.
                                                                                                         > i have heard many folks use enlightenment and blackbox for window
> managers... i personally havent tried this yet.. but i would be real
> curious how easy it is to use a lightweight wm on my crappy TV..

um, with myth displaying fullscreen, there's no reason not to use a
lightweight WM - the fonts are still done by QT, so they should look the
same.

I'm a big gnome fan, but myth doesn't need any of the extras...

-Chris