[mythtv-users] Gnome Vrs. KDE

mojo mojospam at thegeekclub.net
Tue Jul 1 21:10:18 EDT 2003

umm... i couldnt get myth to cover the stupid menu bar at the top of the
screen in gnome and couldnt find a way to autohide it or anyway to turn
off "always on top"... oh and mplayer wouldnt go over it either until i
used gmplayer instead... but other than that it was fine for me although
i heard someone say it was problematic with gnome i didnt really notice
any besides those... if you dont mind it not being completely full
screen then you will be fine with gnome.. and if you figure that part
out let me know because i kinda liked gnome and might consider going
back to it...

i would use gnome anyway if this was a desktop system as well but this
one is going to sit in my living room and do nothing but mythtv and
mplayer so...

i have heard many folks use enlightenment and blackbox for window
managers... i personally havent tried this yet.. but i would be real
curious how easy it is to use a lightweight wm on my crappy TV.. its
hard enough to read the fonts in KDE on my tv... and 800x600 makes all
the windows go off the screen and i cant even see the edges of the
screen anyway cause my tv chops those off for me too... hehe.. i really
just need to get a nicer TV...

anyway.. i use KDE 3.1.2 now just because its working fine.. no other
reason really...

Sean