[mythtv-users] XMLTV is Broken in North America

Jeff Monks mythtv at skunkeye.com
Tue Jul 1 15:54:44 EDT 2003

> Why not try to push the tv-channels into publishing the listings in
> xml-format?
>
> It should be in their interest to make the information available.

It's not really in the network's interest to publish information for us to
use.  They HATE digital recording, as it's devaluing their advertising
model.  The easier it is for someone to set up a Myth box (or other free
DVR), the more people are going to do it, and the less control the
networks have.

Now, it might be possible to convince zap2it or TV Guide or Yahoo or
somebody to provide the information for a fee.  As long as it's less than
what Tivo charges, I'd be happy with that.

It should be noted that, technically, the listings those sites provide
aren't "free" - they're ad-supported, and since XMLTV users aren't seeing
the ads, it's no surprise they don't want us leeching the listings.  The
thing to do would be to try to open a dialogue now, before we start
getting any real animosity toward us.

Anyone have any idea how to go about negotiations between a corporation
and a nebulous, ever-changing group of computer users?