[mythtv-users] Creative Ifra Receiver --- step-by-step

Justin A justin-myth at bouncybouncy.net
Sat Feb 8 04:45:06 UTC 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:17:30PM -0500, John wrote:

> I have NO reference to lirc-serial or char-major-61 in my modules.conf, it's
> generic (see attached).  My rc.d/rc.local is clean, and my kernel doesn't

If you have no reference to lirc-serial, how on earth do you expect it
to work?

> reference any serial things at all.  I _think_ this
> is how some people have it working.  In my /etc/ folder I have
> the file 'lircd.conf" which is a copy of lirc.conf.creative from the
> creative folder inside remotes inside the tarball (also attached).  In my
> /dev folder I removed the old  lirc  device (rm lirc) and tried doing both a
Why!
> simple   ln -sf  ttyS0 lirc   to create the symbolic link, and also a mknod
> lirc c 0 61  then the ln  to link to it.  Either way it doesn't work for me.
> I've tried doing the ln with /dev/lirc and just the lirc and neither works.
> It does explain why you had a "5" in there and I had a "10".  When I do the
> ln without the /dev path, I get 5, otherwise I get 10.  Here's what my ls -l
> lirc* looks like:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root   10 Feb  4 21:24 /dev/lirc ->/dev/ttyS0
> srw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     0 Feb  5 01:29 /dev/lircd=
> prw-r--r--      1 root     root     0 Jan 30 04:48 /dev/lircm|
>
> I've tried doing a chmod 666 lirc but no difference.

You deleted the correct lirc device, and then linked it to a serial port
which you don't have. why? where did you get the idea to do this?
crw-rw----    4 root     root      61,   0 2002-10-07 12:56 dev/lirc

> Bottom line is that it's still (obviously) not working.  One thing that
> really puzzles me is this.  I've hear people say you don't load any "serial"
> drivers or modules of any kind and others say I have to load serial drivers,
> and in fact to make sure not to get the default ones but to get the creative
> ones.  Which way is right?  I know when I do the ./setup.sh it says
> that I DON'T need to modify my kernel.  I don't know.  I don't really
> understand what's going on behind the scenes.

You need to load the lirc modules!!!

> I'm desperate!  I have MythTV up and running and this is the one missing
> piece!

http://www.lirc.org/html/install.html#installing
read that then.

--