[mythtv-users] Lots of problems with 0.13

Harley Peters harley at hpeters.net
Mon Dec 29 13:33:11 EST 2003

Hans-Christian Prytz wrote:
> Ok, this is really strange
> Previously I was running 0.12 without any problems at all. Then I
> decided to upgrade to 0.13, and also to kernel 2.4.22 (Gentoo system)
> (I probably shouldn't have doen that at the same time). I also added a
> PVR-250 card. All of this (naturally :-) lead to a non-working system.
>
> The first problem was kernel panics, which most liekley is caused by the
> ivtv drivers (but I haven'tbeen able to confirm that yet)
> So I removed the ivtv drivers and any mention of the pvr card in mythtv,
> but still on 2.4.22, so Iæll test more here.
>
> Meanwhile I have the following list of problems in mythtv that weren't
> there under 0.12:
>
> Sound seems to repeat every now and then while watching live tv. In
> other words it sound like this (sort of): "Now get out there and play
> ball play ball" (should be just one "play ball") or "Get over here over
> here this" (should be "Get over here and do this")
> Really strange and not present under 0.12
>
> Browsing the list of recorded programs taks forever. Every move of the
> "cursor" takes about 4-5 seconds
>
> Trying to watch live tv, or soemthing that is being recorded makes
> mythfrontend loose the connection to the backend about 80% of the time.
>
> And actually most strange of all, watching soemthing within mythvideo
> makes the myth window loose focus when I quit the playback (or it is
> finished) This did not happen earlier, and I'm still running the same
> windowmanager :-(
>
> Oh, this is a singe machine setup (amd xp 1800) with Gentoo 1.4 and
> (currently) kernel 2.4.22 (from gentoo sources) with a Hauppage win-tv
> card (using bttv and btaudio) There is also a PVR-250 card in the
> machine (ivtv driver is _not_ loaded now).
>
> Next step is going back to the 2.4.20 kernel and check what happens
> then. Any suggestions as to what can be causing this would be mos
> welcome :-)
>
> Hans-Christian

Well i'm running gentoo linux 1.4 with the 2.4.22-gentoo-r2 kernel on a
pentium 4 2.4ghz with dual pvr 250's and it is rock solid.

What version of the ivtv driver are you using ? I'm using the one from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/axboe/ivtv/ivtv-031125A.tar.bz2

with the close_stream_patch which you can find on the ivtv mailing list.
This is no longer the latest driver there is a newer driver in cvs but i
haven't tried it yet.

1. Kernel panics
Do you happen to have either the low latency scheduling or the Timer
frequency (HZ) set to the default (1000) in the kernel options.
I orginally compiled the kernel with both of those and had problems.
When I recompliled i turned off the low latency scheduling and set the
Timer frequency (HZ) setting to a more "normal" (200). And it has worked
perfect since. Not sure which one acctually fixed the problem since i
changed both at the same time.

2. Sound repeating
Sorry don't have any idea what that could be.

3. Browsing list of recorded programs is slow.
Well i have found this to be a little slower in .13 than .12 but it
shouldn't take 4-5 seconds.
One thing you can do if your running mysql 4 is turn on query caching.
add
query_cache_size=16M
to /etc/mysql/my.cnf

4. Watching live tv looses connetion to the backend.
Probably related to your mysql and or kernel problems.

5. Loosing focus.
Well i've had this problem for sometime the only thing i've been able to
   do about it (assuming your running kde) is in the kde control center
under Desktop/Window Behavior set Focus Policy to Focus under mouse. You
  will probably want to play with the Auto raise delay setting aswell.

Harley Peters