[mythtv-users] Lots of problems with 0.13

Hans-Christian Prytz hcp_public at prytz.net
Mon Dec 29 15:29:24 EST 2003

Harley Peters wrote:

> Well i'm running gentoo linux 1.4 with the 2.4.22-gentoo-r2 kernel on
> a pentium 4 2.4ghz with dual pvr 250's and it is rock solid.
>

> What version of the ivtv driver are you using ? I'm using the one from
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/axboe/ivtv/ivtv-031125A.tar.bz2
>
> with the close_stream_patch which you can find on the ivtv mailing list.
> This is no longer the latest driver there is a newer driver in cvs but
> i haven't tried it yet.

I have tried the cvs version from about dec. 23 and the new 0.1.6 driver
thet was released yesterday. I haven't tried the one you mention there,
but maybe I should. THen I just have to find the correct patch :-)

How is the rest of the system holding up to the amount of data being
transmitted if you record two things and watch a third?

> 1. Kernel panics
> Do you happen to have either the low latency scheduling or the Timer
> frequency (HZ) set to the default (1000) in the kernel options.
> I orginally compiled the kernel with both of those and had problems.
> When I recompliled i turned off the low latency scheduling and set the
> Timer frequency (HZ) setting to a more "normal" (200). And it has worked
> perfect since. Not sure which one acctually fixed the problem since i
> changed both at the same time.

I had the low latency scheduling turned on, but Timer freq. was at 200.
I'm recompiling without low latency right now, so we'll se how that goes.

> 2. Sound repeating
> Sorry don't have any idea what that could be.

Haven't found anything yet myself.

> 3. Browsing list of recorded programs is slow.
> Well i have found this to be a little slower in .13 than .12 but it
> shouldn't take 4-5 seconds.
> One thing you can do if your running mysql 4 is turn on query caching.
> add
> query_cache_size=16M
> to /etc/mysql/my.cnf

I'll try that

> 5. Loosing focus.
> Well i've had this problem for sometime the only thing i've been able
> to   do about it (assuming your running kde) is in the kde control
> center under Desktop/Window Behavior set Focus Policy to Focus under
> mouse. You  will probably want to play with the Auto raise delay
> setting aswell.

Actually I use fvwm, and haven't had any problems at all until now.....
Has anything changed in the way mythfrontend behaves?