[mythtv-users] New user can't get started on mythtv

Roger Andreassen randreas69 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 12:40:02 EST 2003

> > I'm at Slackware 9.1, ticked the 'mysql' service at the installer and
>build
> > the 'mythtv' tarball. It says "can't find /var/run/mysql.socket" and I
>
>Well even though mysql is out of the scope of this list, have you verified
>in
>any other way that mysql is initializing? How did you start it? do you have
>an
>rc script or something similar. I haven't used Slak since 3.4 so I'm not
>sure
>how much has changed.
>
>Commonly there is some decent error reporting at the root of your databases
>(or mysql installation)
>

>From this point I don't tamper with what Slackware has set up. An rc.xxxx
file made executable is indeed executed. As I've finally eccepted Alsa bc of
this (neat job in the rc.d folder) I need to investigate further .ini or
.conf files for mysql if it's worth the trouble.

>Failing this, http://www.mysql.org has incredible documentation which
>should
>help you narrow down whats failing regarding mysql running properly.

There are other mythtv tarballs to be built, but I need to unterstand the
bare minimums before I elaborate in every direction. I'm no guru but I build
a mean kernel. Do you do FreeBSD as well? That's a pleasantly easy OS to get
to grips with.

If I need all this just to watch TV, again, it better be worth it.

Regards,

Roger Andreassen.