[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 11, Issue 20

Steven Bennett sablists at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 5 16:29:43 EST 2003

Back when I was putting the finishing touches on my current setup (Mandrake
9.1, ALSA 0.9.8, PVR250, MythTV 0.11), I noticed the same exact problem --
no sound in Live TV.  What I found was that something in Myth or in the IVTV
stuff was changing the ALSA sound settings when I went to Live TV.  Once
this happened, NO sound from videos would be played, either in Live TV,
Playback, or even using Mplayer.

Restoring the settings (through ALSA commands, or rebooting to load the
saved settings) would get sound back for playing back movies, even ones
recorded when the sound wasn't working.

I didn't investigate too closely, however, since I really don't use Live TV
at all (I have a cable box, and it's easier and faster to just use that
directly...), and playback of recorded programs worked fine as long as I
hadn't tried any Live TV at all.  The system was stable, and has been up
almost continuously since, except for tweaking the clock and upgrading
XMLTV.

But this info might give you (or the technical guys here) some starting
point for figuring out what's happening -- what sort of ALSA settings get
changed for Live TV off a PVR250 that *don't* get changed during Playback of
a recording?

-->Steve Bennett