[mythtv-users] Internet won't work thru proxy

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 3 14:16:39 EST 2003

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 13:27, Tony Maro wrote:
> Just FYI:
>
> I have a Squid proxy with Dansguardian in my house that is
> transparently redirected to from outgoing port 80's...
>
> in other words, a transparent filtering proxy.
>
> The URL's that MythTV access for weather, imdb, etc... all work from
> a browser, but within MythTV they fail if going thru the transparent
> proxy.
>
> I had to reconfigure my firewall to NOT redirect the outbound 80 for
> the IP that is my MythTV box.

The problem is more likely Dansguardian, I'd think.  MythVideo and
MythWeather expect to parse an html file formatted in a particular way,
I believe.  If Dansguardian is performing substitutions (removing ads,
rewriting URLs, etc), this could screw up Myth.  Rather than remove
your proxy from the loop, I'd just configure Squid to not pass content
from msnbc.com or imdb.com through Dansguardian, but to simply return
it unfiltered.

-JAC