[mythtv-users] Internet won't work thru proxy

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Wed Dec 3 14:58:49 EST 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 December 2003 13:27, Tony Maro wrote:
> > Just FYI:
> >
> > I have a Squid proxy with Dansguardian in my house that is
> > transparently redirected to from outgoing port 80's...
> >
> > in other words, a transparent filtering proxy.
> >
> > The URL's that MythTV access for weather, imdb, etc... all work from
> > a browser, but within MythTV they fail if going thru the transparent
> > proxy.
> >
> > I had to reconfigure my firewall to NOT redirect the outbound 80 for
> > the IP that is my MythTV box.
>
> The problem is more likely Dansguardian, I'd think.  MythVideo and
> MythWeather expect to parse an html file formatted in a particular way,
> I believe.  If Dansguardian is performing substitutions (removing ads,
> rewriting URLs, etc), this could screw up Myth.  Rather than remove
> your proxy from the loop, I'd just configure Squid to not pass content
> from msnbc.com or imdb.com through Dansguardian, but to simply return
> it unfiltered.

I'm not sure about this actually.  I need to do some testing when I get
home.  However, I had a problem with apt-get and [b|g]zipped files.  I
googled and found someone suggesting it was Dansguardian so I set my
http_proxy env variable to http://proxy:8080 thinking that I would bypass
dansguardian and go directly to my proxy.  That worked (fixed apt-get) but
I just now realized that squid is running on port 3128 and dansguardian is
running on 8080!  So that means dansguardian wasn't breaking apt-get, but
rather the transparent proxy'ing of port 80 was.

This may or may not be the same problem that's affecting MythWeather, etc
(FWIW, I too was having problems with MythWeather not retreiving data but
I shelved it until I got everything else figured out).

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>