[mythtv-users] Myth Ideas

Nelson Butterworth red_five at charter.net
Tue Dec 2 10:10:43 EST 2003

Maybe even better would be to use a current mobile phone to send short
text messages to MythTV as email, and have it decode or interpret the
messages as a show listing. We (that's the royal we...) could run a cron
job every couple of minutes or so to check a mailbox of our choosing for
a particular message pattern, and turn that into a record item. Maybe
even email confirmation back with more program details.

How about this?
(On the phone or from a standard email client)
mythtv at newrepublic.pointclark.net
Subject: (probably blank coming from mobile phone)
(2-space-delimited text follows, formatted as "channel  start-time
run-time  source-selection")
42  7pm  2hr  Cable

"Source-selection", as you might guess, is the name you have given the
particular listing source. Should even be possible to send more than one
request per message. Even extend it to allow deletion via email, by
adding a "-" in front of the channel. Man, I should whip this up this
week and give it a try.

Nelson Butterworth