[mythtv-users] Re: Terrible LiveTV performance (Isaac Richards)

Paul Jara pjara at rogers.com
Tue Aug 19 00:47:18 EDT 2003

Just to follow up on the thread I started...

I have since re-installed RH9. It's a lot cleaner install now, with
only MythTV providing the primary functionality. The main partition is
a ReiserFS one as opposed to ext3 that was used before. I just
installed the new 0.11 release and, though I'm not yet using ALSA
drivers for my soundcard, live TV viewing is noticeably better than it
used to be for me. Very strange. A great deal of variables have changed
between my installations so it's impossible to precisely pinpoint one
thing that may have helped my situation. But, for anyone that's
interested, here is a description of my current install:

-I'm using a RH9 custom install with as few applications as possible.
With the exception of trivial gnome apps and mandatory RH apps, Mozilla
is the biggest non-MythTV related app on the system. I've updated to
the latest kernel and packages.
-I'm using Axel Thimm's RPM repository now, as opposed to freshrpms. I
installed the 0.11 release from his repository.
-I'm no longer using the Nvidia binary drivers.
-I'm no longer using the ALSA drivers for my SBLive Value!.
-I installed RH9 with support for ReiserFS (upon booting disc 1 and
getting to the prompt, type "linux reiserfs") and my main partition is
now a reiserfs one.

If I make any more significant progress, I'll be sure to post to this
mailing list.

-Paul