[mythtv-theming] Help with theme writing (porting Retro)

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Tue Nov 17 19:46:10 UTC 2009

OK, Thank you to Robert McNamara for directing me here, and a recap of a
question I just posted on the users list:

Full theme I'm working on:
http://www.westnet.com/~chris/Mythtv/Retro-wide.tar.gz
Just the file in question:
http://www.westnet.com/~chris/Mythtv/recordings-ui.xml

I'm working on themeing the recordings-ui.xml file. Starting from the
default theme, I wanted to replace the rounded area used to select a
subtitle with an image.  I replaced this:

                <state name="selected" from="active">
                    <shape name="selectbar">
                        <area>25,0,857,30</area>
                    </shape>
                </state>

With this:
                <state name="selected" from="active">
                    <imagetype name="selectbar">
                        <filename>rk-selectbar.png</filename>
                        <crop>0,0,880,29</crop>
                    </imagetype>
                </state>

This 'works', however, mythfrontend now displays an error about a duplicate
object "selectbar".

Robert McNamara responds:

> It is being defined-- in the "active" state.  "<state name="selected"
> from="active">" means *everything* in the active state is inherited,
> and everything in selected is an override.  If you don't directly
> address the items defined in the active state, they will show up
> exactly as defined there.  The shape and the image both show up
> because they're different objects.  One inherited from Active and one
> newly defined.

Except it's not defined in any of my files. grep shows it only appears in my
recordings-ui.xml, and the first appearance is on line 79 -- where I get my
error. The other appearance is in a different window.

The only place this would be defined is in default-wide/base.xml

I have my own Retro-wide/base.xml that doesn't define it, and the console
output of mythfrontend doesn't show Retro-wide/base.xml being loaded. (At
least my notes from last night don't show it.)

Should I expect the default-wide/base.xml to be loaded, even if I have my
own ?