[mythtv-theming] OpenGL - fixed my segfault

paul10 at planar.id.au paul10 at planar.id.au
Sun Jul 26 07:36:06 UTC 2009

I've had problems for a while with one of my machines (my primary frontend)
not being able to run the OpenGL painter.  I've never worried too much
about this since I use vnc a lot to control that frontend, and OpenGL
prevents vnc from running.  However, since the Graphite in particular
requires OpenGL, it was starting to irk me.

I see some others on this list with a similar issue, and I've found a
solution for me, so I'm posting for the information of others.

The error I was getting was that once I set mythfrontend to OpenGL, it
would segfault immediately on startup.  The screen would briefly flash to
the theme, then segfault.  The exact lines in my mythfrontend log (in case
anyone is googling for this) were:

2009-07-26 17:18:51.721 Using NV NPOT texture extension
Segmentation Fault

It was then annoying to get myself back to the qt painter - I found two
ways to do this:
  a.  Update the database directly - update settings set data = "qt" where
value = "ThemePainter" and hostname = "xxxx";

  b.  Override on the command line:  mythfrontend -O ThemePainter=qt

Anyway, I tracked the problem down to my nvidia driver.  I've been running
vdpau, so I had one of the newer drivers.  The exact version I had was
180.51.  I upgraded to 190.18 (the latest beta), and the problem went away.
 Magic!!

To deal with my vnc, I now run mythfrontend normally when I want the newer
theme.  If I want to use it via vnc, I just kill the existing mythfrontend,
then run a new one as:
   mythfrontend -O ThemePainter=qt -O Theme=Terra

Now my only need is to find that font that Robert included, but that
doesn't seem to be in the latest package I just downloaded.  I think I can
copy it from one of my other machines.

Enjoy,

Paul