[mythtv] CMake

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 04:02:01 UTC 2024

On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 2:14 AM Scott Theisen <scott.the.elm at gmail.com> wrote:

I will chime in with my opinions (which are
not to be considered facts, just opinions).

> I have not yet tried the new CMake based build system and I have a few questions (mostly for David Hampton, but anyone can chime in):
>
> When is it intended to replace configure?

I would like it to see it happen quickly, as
configure is a maze of twisty passages
with deadends and potential collapses.
That said, see below...

> How do you uninstall the installed programs?
> Is there a way to only build, but not install, the plugins?
> Can you build but not install the project?  (e.g. when making further changes to the code while running a test with different changes.)

These (to me) are all related, as the current
CMake recipes do not support what are
considered by some to support the normal
build/install/uninstall workflow.  The
recipes can work for building packages,
but more work seems to be needed to
make this work as developers (and some
users who build from source) would
want/expect.

On my infinite todo list is to take a look at
the recipes to see if I can contribute, but
I have no schedule for that effort.  Someone
fluent in CMake (I am not, although I can,
sometimes, muddle through), could probably
submit some useful PRs quickly.

> Is there an easy way to specify additional compiler flags?

I have not checked the recipes to see if
it works, but adding -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS
(and -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS) to the build is
the typical way to accomplish that.

However,