[mythtv] FFmpeg 5.1 released

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 23:56:58 UTC 2022

On Sun, Jul 24, 2022 at 5:28 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> Do you happen to know if it includes Aman's workaround for closed
> captions when using mediacodec?  I doubt it does.

It is not on the changelog (so I doubt it).

> That and ac4 audio
> support are the biggest things I'm waiting for.

ac-4 is (apparently) not included.  There are,
as hinted elsewhere, issues (and not just in
the bug tracker, although there are still (last
I knew) issues with certain ac-4
content/containers too).

The current FFmpeg version-next proposals
do not call out either item either (although the
next version is intended to be extensively
threaded, which might help improve
throughput in some cases)

A quick scan of the 5.1 changelogs suggests
that support for VDPAU AV1 hardware
acceleration might be of future interest
(NVDEC AV1 hardware acceleration has
been in the code for a while, but some
still want/need VDPAU), and audio dialog
enhancement and a virtualbass filter (both
common in some better A/V receivers), and
the code finally removes the legacy XvMC
support.