[mythtv] FFmpeg 5.1 released

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue Jul 26 01:18:07 UTC 2022

> On Jul 25, 2022, at 7:56 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2022 at 5:28 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>
>> Do you happen to know if it includes Aman's workaround for closed
>> captions when using mediacodec?  I doubt it does.
>
> It is not on the changelog (so I doubt it).
>
>> That and ac4 audio
>> support are the biggest things I'm waiting for.
>
> ac-4 is (apparently) not included.  There are,
> as hinted elsewhere, issues (and not just in
> the bug tracker, although there are still (last
> I knew) issues with certain ac-4
> content/containers too).
>
> The current FFmpeg version-next proposals
> do not call out either item either (although the
> next version is intended to be extensively
> threaded, which might help improve
> throughput in some cases)
>
> A quick scan of the 5.1 changelogs suggests
> that support for VDPAU AV1 hardware
> acceleration might be of future interest
> (NVDEC AV1 hardware acceleration has
> been in the code for a while, but some
> still want/need VDPAU), and audio dialog
> enhancement and a virtualbass filter (both
> common in some better A/V receivers), and
> the code finally removes the legacy XvMC
> support.

On the Macports-dev list, it was reported that it appears that ffmpeg 5.1 includes some breaking API changes.  No details were provided but they think that we’ll have to provide 4.x and 5.x versions for some time as projects adapt to the changes.  I don’t know if this affects Myth but thought I’d mention it.

Craig