[mythtv] Wiki maintenance

f-myth-users at lab.media.mit.edu f-myth-users at lab.media.mit.edu
Mon Sep 27 17:47:57 UTC 2021

    > Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 18:59:54 +0200
    > From: Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com>

    > Would it be possible to split the wiki pages into a "current" section and
    > a "historical" section and move all the old pages to the historical
    > section?

Most users aren't really cognizant of the organization of most wikis,
since most of them are sort of random digraphs anyway.  And if you land
on a random page from searching, you probably won't have any idea you're
in the "historical" section.  That's why I suggested some sort of trivial
template, which then puts up an infobox at the top of the page saying,
"Hey, beware, this doesn't reflect the current release."  This is done[1]
all the time on Wikipedia, and in fact they have much more sophisticated
templates in some cases---which would have been nice to have done earlier
here, and which maybe could be done going forward, but would be too much
work to try to do the research to backport.  (Plus, we wouldn't want a
complicated solution like that to get in the way of a simple solution.)

[1] Random example, first one I could find:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgActorTableSchemaMigrationStage
Bigger example:  https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Magic_words

Note, for the first URL, both the infobox at the top and the two flags
at the side for which versions they're talking about.  I'm saying we
might want to do the trivial infobox at the top, but not get into the
complexity of version-by-version side tabs for historical releases.
But for releases going forward, maybe, if someone has time to port this
and it becomes habitual for authors to use it.  (It would be especially
useful for schema, variable, protocol, and API changes, etc, though I
know we have some stuff like that already done as tables.)

    >          I also think the old pages do have value, if not for the reasons
    > mentioned above then also to get a bit nostalgic about the past. Some
    > people actually go to museums and look at old stuff...

Yes.  Also, some people actually look at old documentation to get clues
about how something might work or might have worked even if they're
running something newer; I've found that helpful for Myth---being able
to look back a ways to see how an old system was supposed to be
configured may help to understand it when upgrading it.

    > Having said that, it would be great if the wiki would be reorganized so
    > that the main page does point to up-to-date information and that search
    > actions do give meaningful results.

Yes, that would be nice.