[mythtv] MythPlugins - QtWebKit upgrade to something current such as qtwebengine

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Sun Mar 7 17:56:46 UTC 2021

On Sun, 2021-03-07 at 09:27 -0500, David Hampton via mythtv-dev wrote:
> On Sat, 2021-03-06 at 09:46 -0600, The Bit Pit wrote:
> > I am a proxy maintainer for mythtv and mythplugins on gentoo linux.
> > mythplugins [mythbrowser mythmusic] do not compile without
> > qtwebkit.
> > Other mythplugins require mythbrowser be installed in order to
> > work.
> >
> > Does anyone use mythbrowser or one of the mythplugins that depend
> > on
> > mythbrowser?
>
> I use mythmusic, but I'm not a gentoo user.

Likewise.

> > Is anyone working on converting mythbrowser and mythmusic to not
> > require qtwebkit?
>
> I'm working on porting MythTV to qt6, but I haven't done any work on
> the lack of qtwebkit. I'm still trying to get a basic qt6 compile to
> finish at this point. Any qtwebkit->qwebengine work could be done
> separately since qwebengine is available in qt5, but that not where I'm
> focused at the moment.

In mythmusic at least it looks like the browser stuff is used for:

 * image search for album/genre/artist on flickr or google images for
   metadata purposes.
 * something in the visualisers (I can't actually see where apart from the
   header, might be an unnecessary include or maybe it's one of the
   visualisers somehow not immediately obvious).
 * streaming, which forward declares the MythUIWebBrowser class but
   doesn't appear to use it.

I'll try dropping the bits of the second and third and see if
everything still builds since they look vestigial on first glance.
After that maybe it would be acceptable to make the image search bit
optional (I had no idea it existed til just now so I don't (and
wouldn't) use it)?

Ian.