[mythtv] Where's a good place to report PPA packaging bugs?

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Thu Jul 29 10:31:18 UTC 2021

On 29/07/2021 03:50, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:

>      > Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 14:13:09 +1200
>      > From: Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
>
>      > After package install problems, once you fix the problem, it is best
>      > to run:
>
>      > sudo apt -f install
>
>      > to get apt to fix any problems with the already (partially?) installed
>      > packages.
>
> Do you meant "apt-get -f install" instead?  apt doesn't have -f.
>
> In any event, synaptic reports no broken packages, and
> "apt-get --dry-run -f install" only reports that it'd like
> to upgrade 41 packages but do nothing else, so I think I'm okay there.
>
> (And as for my prior message to this list, I hadn't done git blame on
> that line yet, because I hadn't quite understood Paul's message when I
> first read it.  I now see that the Pre-Depends has been on mythtv-common
> for many months.  I have no explanation for why that didn't appear to
> fire, however.  Maybe the right thing to do is for a package maintainer
> to try installing in a fresh 20.04 inside a schroot and see what happens
> for "add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31; apt-get install mythtv" because
> I sure don't see why Pre-Depends didn't haul in pwgen before trying to
> do anything with mythtv-common.)

I did a clean install of stock Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS a couple of weeks ago
and didn't have any problems. Our figures show approximately 81% of all
MythTV users that submit there stats to us use Ubuntu and about 41% of
those use 20.04 so if it was a wide spread problem we would know about
it by now. We did recently have someone on the forum reporting problems
not related to this that was eventually tracked down to them only
partially updating there system so they ended up with mismatched
packages installed and not surprisingly they had problems.

As for who is the PPA maintainer? Since MythBuntu closed down there
isn't one. We all muck in when we can to maintain best we can the
packaging repo that has the debian packaging instructions that's used by
the Ubuntu Launchpad builders. I think I'm the only active MythTV dev
who has access to the Mythbuntu PPA's so can do some maintenance on
there if needed.

Paul H.