[mythtv] Where's a good place to report PPA packaging bugs?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Jul 29 17:14:00 UTC 2021

    > Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 11:31:18 +0100
    > From: Paul Harrison <mythtv at mythqml.net>

    > I did a clean install of stock Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS a couple of weeks ago
    > and didn't have any problems. Our figures show approximately 81% of all
    > MythTV users that submit there stats to us use Ubuntu and about 41% of
    > those use 20.04 so if it was a wide spread problem we would know about
    > it by now. We did recently have someone on the forum reporting problems
    > not related to this that was eventually tracked down to them only
    > partially updating there system so they ended up with mismatched
    > packages installed and not surprisingly they had problems.

Fascinating.  Well, this is a 20.04 system which I installed last year,
but it's never had any mismatched packages (I believe Myth is the first
PPA I've enabled, for example).  I've just installed a few packages
(emacs etc) and have let the updater update old packages every so often.
I've never aborted it in the middle of a package operation, and it
reports no broken packages.  (And 20.04 was freshly-installed; I've
never felt it worth the risk of upgrading through versions because
I've often heard of people running into subtle bugs when they do that.)

I suppose if this is rare, then it's not going to inconvenience
everyone who installs Myth, which was what I thought was going on
and why I reported it.

(My offer to share logfiles etc still stands, if you or anyone
else think they'd help in debugging this.  I don't throw logs away.)

Obviously my short-term problem is resolved, because installing pwgen
fixed it.  But I don't understand why the Pre-Depends did nothing.

[...a thought.  It's not possible that if I had a few packages awaiting
updates (e.g,. security updates that haven't run yet) that that could
block a Pre-Depends, right?  You'd think those are totally independent.
I'm grasping at straws here, and that would seem to indicate some sort
of apt bug.  But I don't -think- I did an update immediately before
installing myth, so there may have been some outstanding.]

    > As for who is the PPA maintainer? Since MythBuntu closed down there
    > isn't one. We all muck in when we can to maintain best we can the
    > packaging repo that has the debian packaging instructions that's used by
    > the Ubuntu Launchpad builders. I think I'm the only active MythTV dev
    > who has access to the Mythbuntu PPA's so can do some maintenance on
    > there if needed.

OK.  And thanks!