[mythtv] Version numbers for services

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 23:43:28 UTC 2021

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 7:27 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> I suppose compatibility could be preserved

Alternatively, if there is a motivated dev one
could take this (or v33?) as a "once in a lifetime"
opportunity to just throw all the bad approaches
away, and do it right, whatever "right" means,
giving API consumers (and I suspect there are
only a few 3rd parties who have written anything
largish to the existing API, although there is
no doubt a long tail of other(s)) some time to
adapt to an API-NEXT (probably twoish years
based on past release schedules if such a new
design was worked and finalized soonish after
v32 was released).  That, of course, presumes
that at least one motivated dev has solved the
ENOTME roblem (perhaps after achieving practical
commercial fusion power delivery, i.e. always at
least three decades away).

> I put business logic in the recording rule API.
> Agreed.  I think I did the following on my latest change:

Yes, I apologize, as I broad brushed some of
the issues I encountered since I have tended
to remember the pain points, and not the
places where things worked almost exactly
as one would expect/hope.