[mythtv] Version numbers for services

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Dec 14 02:58:12 UTC 2021

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 11:43:28PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 7:27 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>
> > I suppose compatibility could be preserved
>
> Alternatively, if there is a motivated dev one
> could take this (or v33?) as a "once in a lifetime"
> opportunity to just throw all the bad approaches
> away, and do it right, whatever "right" means,
> giving API consumers (and I suspect there are
> only a few 3rd parties who have written anything
> largish to the existing API, although there is
> no doubt a long tail of other(s)) some time to
> adapt to an API-NEXT (probably twoish years
> based on past release schedules if such a new
> design was worked and finalized soonish after
> v32 was released).  That, of course, presumes
> that at least one motivated dev has solved the
> ENOTME roblem (perhaps after achieving practical
> commercial fusion power delivery, i.e. always at
> least three decades away).

I wouldn't object for purely aesthetic reasons but I have no real skin
in the game.  You, Peter Bennett, the folks who maintain the MythTV
PVR plugin for Kodi and maybe Paul Harrison are the main (only?)
significant, API users that I know of.  Discuss among yourselves if
you'd rather see that.

> > I put business logic in the recording rule API.
> > Agreed.  I think I did the following on my latest change:
>
> Yes, I apologize, as I broad brushed some of
> the issues I encountered since I have tended
> to remember the pain points, and not the
> places where things worked almost exactly
> as one would expect/hope.

No offense taken.  I understand it is still probably the exception.
Even I've learned some things since I refactored that API belive there
is still some room for improvement.

David
--
David Engel