[mythtv] Redone FFmpeg 4.4.1

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 17:58:40 UTC 2021

I've tested the devel/ffmpeg-resync-0 and it works fine here. I did observe
a new style blocking artifact on one test clip but after testing with v31
it showed it was there all along. So that is definitely a different issue
and can be ignored for now.

About more customization to FFMpeg. I am inclined to agree with Peter that
we should not do this. A better strategy is to contribute new features to
FFmpeg and then to make use of these features in MythTV.

If the new v4l2 code is really separate from the existing FFmpeg code, as
Piotr's latest post suggests,  then maybe it can be packed in a separate
MythTV library and not be part of the external/FFmpeg tree.

Thinking a bit further along this line, I have lately been doing things
with gtest/gmock to generate unit test software and with this individual
functions can be replaced by, in the case of gtest/gmock, functions that
simulate the behavior of the function that should have been called. I was
just wondering if we could do something similar with the functions in the
FFMpeg that we have modified. So that we have an additional
libavffmpeg that is part of MythTV and that does contain all
customisations, or as many as possible. LD_PRELOAD is a word associated
with this and this what valgrind etc uses to intercept malloc calls. As I
understand it of course...
Does anyone know if that would be feasible?

Klaas.