[mythtv] render2019 comments

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 09:38:59 UTC 2019

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 at 09:38, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mark:  This is a 2.8 GHz Core2Duo system, so no VAAPI.  IIRC the
> cpu loads were around 40%, while VDPAU usually gives perhaps 15%.  Clip
> link below.   I should be able to reinstall if more tests would help.
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SSxabQJVYN-PRirSF_5zPwEd2FYeaoWp

John,

Thanks for the clip. It plays fine here with both VDPAU and software
decode (and VAAPI and NVDEC).

The only potential issue (though not entirely relevant to this
discussion) is that the stream is marked as interlaced but looks to be
progressive. It is hard to tell though as there is not a lot of quick
movement to look out for.  The stream is H264 MBAFF - which is a form
of interlacing that no open source players handle very well.
Deinterlacing should only be done at a macroblock level but we have no
visibility of that (though the VDPAU deinterlacers may cope with it -
hard to know).

I'm fixing the vaapi/vdpau checks/crashes for mythcommflag etc.

Thanks and regards
Mark