[mythtv] render2019 comments

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 18:29:11 UTC 2019

On 30/09/2019 10:38, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 at 09:38, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Mark:  This is a 2.8 GHz Core2Duo system, so no VAAPI.  IIRC the
>> cpu loads were around 40%, while VDPAU usually gives perhaps 15%.  Clip
>> link below.   I should be able to reinstall if more tests would help.
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SSxabQJVYN-PRirSF_5zPwEd2FYeaoWp
>
> John,
>
> Thanks for the clip. It plays fine here with both VDPAU and software
> decode (and VAAPI and NVDEC).
>
> The only potential issue (though not entirely relevant to this
> discussion) is that the stream is marked as interlaced but looks to be
> progressive. It is hard to tell though as there is not a lot of quick
> movement to look out for.  The stream is H264 MBAFF - which is a form
> of interlacing that no open source players handle very well.
> Deinterlacing should only be done at a macroblock level but we have no
> visibility of that (though the VDPAU deinterlacers may cope with it -
> hard to know).
>
> I'm fixing the vaapi/vdpau checks/crashes for mythcommflag etc.
>
> Thanks and regards
> Mark

OK, two builds later and I'm on 04a2952975b.  mythcommflag --rebuild
still complains about vaapi, but it works, and I can cut recordings.
Panning is still shuddery, but I think less than it was, and isn't
distressing.  My recent DVB-T2 recordings of BBC Proms have the channel
ident as 1080p and the content is interlaced;  the change is handled
smoothly.

The menu/playback/playback_data display is showing ffmpeg decoding for
all H.264 and MPEG-2.  I have 'NVDEC Normal' selected and it is shown as
being supported in the frontend startup and on this page (in the
'complete list' section, GeForce GT 710) so I'm not sure what to
believe.  I'm not using AVSync2 because ISTR it used to have problems
with DVB-T Radio;  I haven't investigated that recently.

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

Anyway it's looking good and I plan to live with it.

Cheers,

John