[mythtv] Experimental Android TV "leanback" MythTV frontend

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 18:51:47 UTC 2019

On 14/11/2019 16:56, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 11/14/19 11:10 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> On 21/08/2019 20:17, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>>> I am developing a pure android application for Android TV devices
>>> called android-MythTV-Leanfront.
>>>
>>> It uses the android TV leanback user interface as used by other apps
>>> such as youtube, prime video, etc. to play MythTV recordings.
>>>
>>> It supports 4K resolution video at 50 fps and voice search, which are
>>> not working on mythfrontend for android. Also it supports surround
>>> sound.
>>>
>>> It does not yet support many of the important features of
>>> Mythfrontend, and some features it may never support.
>>>
>>> See https://github.com/bennettpeter/android-MythTV-Leanfront for more
>>> details
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>> I briefly tried this on both FireTV 4k and Nvidia Shield and it fails to
>> run on both of them. The first time it run it went to the settings
>> screen so I  set the backend IP and then backed out to a screen that I
>> think showed just two items for 'Settings' and 'All' nothing else.  Now
>> when I try it it just crashes back to the Home screen each time. Don't
>> have any time to debug but curious to why it's failing.
>>
>> Does this use the Services API?
> Yes it uses the services API exclusively. It does not use the myth
> protocol. v30 or master should work. I have not tested with any earlier
> version. It loads the program list with
> http://backend:6544/Dvr/GetRecordedList
>
> After you enter the backend ip address it should start with a list of
> recording groups: All, Default, Others. Then selecting one of those will
> give a row for each title, with episodes across.
>
>> What Security Pin does it use (I have several BE's on the same network
>> so set a different pin on each one, I don't use the default  '0000'
>> could that be it?
> Since it does not use the myth protocol it does not need a pin or the
> database credentials.
>>
>> I do have over 4100 recordings could that be it?
>>
> It was previously crashing due to a large number of titles. I made a fix
> for that but perhaps there is still some limit I am not aware of. It
> would be helpful for me to get a logcat output from when it crashes
> (full logcat is best: adb logcat > logcat.txt)

It hadn't occurred to me to try using this with my 'production' el7 box,
which has ~2500 DVB-T SD recordings that are now mainly in a DVD-style
mpeg2-ps format.

{{{

   Stream #0:0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video (Main), yuv420p(tv, top first),
704x576 [SAR 16:11 DAR 16:9], 25 fps, 25 tbr, 90k tbn, 50 tbc
     Stream #0:1[0x1c0]: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16p, 256 kb/s

}}}

   Selection is fine, but getting to the bottom of the list takes some
time  :-)  I get no sound, and the video repeatedly plays for a few
seconds, pauses briefly and moves on.

John